Sciatica affects more than 40% of people during their lifetime. The condition results in nerve pain that is caused by a compression of the sciatic nerve. It typically begins in your lower back and radiates down the buttock and the leg. If you are struggling with sciatic nerve pain, the chiropractic professionals at Berry Hill Chiropractic & Wellness in Nashville, TN are ready to assist you. Left untreated, sciatica will only become worse and can lead to permanent nerve damage. Rather than masking your pain with prescription medication or resorting to invasive surgery, our chiropractor will identify and address the root cause of your sciatic nerve pain.
Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica is a condition that can build gradually or come on suddenly. There are many causes of the condition, including a herniated disc or narrowing of the spine. Sciatica may also be a side effect of arthritis, an injury, or a medical condition such as diabetes. Overweight patients and patients that lead an inactive lifestyle are more likely to suffer from sciatica. Symptoms of sciatica include:
- Lower back pain that radiates down the buttocks and the leg
- Muscle pain and weakness that becomes more severe after long periods of standing or sitting still but is relieved when walking
- Loss of movement
- A numbness or tingling sensation in your back or legs
When to condition becomes serious, patients can also experience loss of bowel and bladder control.
The key to treating sciatica is a comprehensive approach to care that can only be provided by a chiropractor. We will begin by conducting a full evaluation of your musculoskeletal system and considering your complete medical history. From there, we will work with you to create a plan for the best course of treatment. Potential therapies include:
- Spinal manipulations help relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve. Restoring your spine’s natural alignment will also improve your mobility.
- Hot and cold therapy to reduce inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
- Training sessions for at-home stretches and exercises will help ensure your treatments are as effective as possible.
- Deep tissue massage therapy can help relieve the lower back pain often caused by sciatica.
Chiropractic Care for Sciatica in Nashville, TN
If you are looking for sciatica treatment in Nashville, TN, contact Berry Hill Chiropractic & Wellness today. For more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor, call us at (615) 208-5030.